ROBOBLOG III Archives

11.09.2006

"SDF-2! SDF-2! Come in, SDF-2!"


From Robotech: The Macross Saga #36. Artwork by Mike Leeke & Mike Chen. Colors by Trishie Schutz.


This is the best shot of the SDF-2 from the final issue of Comico's comic book adaptation of The Macross Saga -- matching the description from the McKinney novels (this is dated February 1989, a full twenty months after the date of the first printing of McKinney's ROBOTECH #6, Doomsday) as well as the implied flow of the final episode of the Macross Saga episodes of ROBOTECH, "To The Stars," that the first shot Khyron fires strikes the SDF-2 instead of the SDF-1 and the two ships, as Carl Macek himself stated, are back-to-back.

The thing I find interesting, even moreso than the ARMD carriers on the arms (which just makes sense) is the shape of the bridge. Check this out.



Hell, even more subtly, look at the shape of the long shoulder laser cannons in the panel from the comic adaptation, and all those little lines across the ship's "waist." It's clear that Mike Leeke actually tried his darnedest to adapt the original unused SDF-2 Megaroad design from the Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series into the SDF-1's humanoid configuration for this shot. Impressive.


As I've said, I'm heading up to St. Louis on Saturday to feast mine eyes on The Shadow Chronicles. I was hoping to have something cool and interesting up here on the site for you all to enjoy this weekend, but that would have taken a wee bit too long to prepare given the fact that I've been sick today (yeah, in the lead up to the big day I come down with a cold -- how about that) and consequently spent the better part of the afternoon in bed, and I'll be having company over all tomorrow night (some people need to brush up on their ROBOTECH before we head out). So I guess that's delayed 'til next week, maybe the middle of the week given the sheer load of work I've got ahead of me. Be watching this space. This is gonna be a good one.

Anyhoo, hope to see some of you in St. Louis! You should be able to spot me; I'll be wearing my hat. ^_^

2 Comments:

  • Looking forward to what you think of RT:SC and have fun in St. Louis.
    later,
    Odyn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12 November, 2006 08:45  

  • I heard that Robotech: The Macross Saga no.36 was published but never distributed because of the writer's untimely death. I've been looking for that issue because I'm a fan of Mike Leeke's art. Where'd you snag yours from?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 22 November, 2006 22:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home