ROBOBLOG III Archives

1.07.2008

Ups and Downs.

So Evan calls me and lets me know that the Protoculture Addicts with my article in it is at his local Waldenbooks -- several copies, in fact. Well, that's something; no place 'round here carries it, so it's nice for me to hear that it's at least on store shelves somewhere.

Then he drops the other shoe.

"Uh, your name's spelled wrong."

Hnnh. Par for the freakin' course. And of course I hear it from him and not any of the other folks I know who got copies. Clearly I need to stop talking to Evan; he only ever brings me upsetting news.

The last time I recall having my name misspelled in a publication was, no joke, my high school yearbook in my senior year. Yeah, that stung, especially since there was really no excuse for it; I was a member of the school newspaper staff, the yearbook staff shared the same classroom/office space, and both were overseen by the same teacher/advisor. Likewise, in this instance, there is no excuse: I sent P.A. a resume file and exchanged more than enough e-mail correspondence with the editor that not only would have my name attached to it in the "from" line, but all would have been signed, at the bottom ...

--Jonathan

So I'm rather unhappy about that, but on the upside, I don't think I'm ever going to see this damnable thing, so at least I'll never have to behold P.A.'s incompetence.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • That is good to hear that it is in Waldenbooks. Hopefully this means it might be in my local Borders, or that I can order it via Borders. For what ever reason, the P.A. website wouldn't accept my credit card (I have used it dozens of times since, so it isn't the card).

    By Blogger Niff, at 07 January, 2008 16:24  

  • Sorry to hear about the credit thing, Jonathan, that's happened to me and it bugs me, too. Once I was a sound recordist for a documentary about hot dogs and they misspelled my last name.

    (I don't really expect this post to make you feel better.)

    By Blogger Roger, at 07 January, 2008 18:36  

  • That's a bummer, dude...

    Wait... Waldenbooks still exists?!?!?!

    By Blogger Darkwater, at 10 January, 2008 21:38  

  • Ya some are still around, ones that haven't been converted into the "failed" Borders Express projects. Probably one of the dumbest things they could have done. Waldenbooks had a solid core following, let me repeat "HAD" a strong core following and then they decided that Waldenbooks was the place Grandma went to get here romance and "they" wanted to be trendy instead. Hence the conversion to Borders, a Barnes and Noble clone...I mean come on 26 letters in the alphabet and they coincidentally picked a name with the same litter...hummm. Kinda reminds me of when Vanilla Ice tried (and failed) to defend using that sample of Under Pressure. It's a moot point though, Borders shut down about half of the Borders Express stores and will probably kill the other half in the next five or so years...following in big brothers foot steps (Barnes & Noble acquired and then effectively shut down B'Daltons).

    captblackbart

    By Blogger captblackbart, at 11 January, 2008 11:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home