ROBOBLOG III Archives

7.24.2008

Toynami & Their Promises - Looking at the SDCC Picture Gallery


Flip through this picture gallery and give me your thoughts in the comments thread. Here's what I took away from it.

1) I think this is the first time they've been so audacious as to show us all four Beta Fighters they intend to release. The Shadow Beta is pretty damn eye-catching, if you ask me. Do we have any release dates?

2) There's a 1/55 scale Veritech line featuring all-new head sculpts coming up -- and yes, I said Veritech and I mean Veritech. Had the ROBOTECH logo on it. Gotta wonder, are they just slapping new show-accurate heads on the old Takatoku/Bandai molds? Because looking at the -1D they had on display (especially the toy's hands), that's what it looks like.

3) The GBP armor system for the 1/100 Valkyries looks rather crap.

4) The 1/100 Battlepod, on the other hand, looks solid, if a bit static. I like it a bit better than the sorta weird, wiry Revoltech Regult that Kaiyodo released a few months back.

5) Maia's lavender Shadow Fighter comes out in December, if Toynami is to be trusted this time. Marcus's gray & white Shadow Fighter then comes out in Spring '09.

6) Yellow's Ride Armor/Lancer's Cyclone from MegaHouse was on display. I MUST OWN THIS TOY.

7) Right next to it was the Masterpiece Collection Scott Bernard w/Armored Cyclone. Offhand, I'd say this is a COMPLETELY different toy than the one that's been making the rounds for years. The one photo Figures.com has makes the red uniform parts look like they're made of cloth. The head was rather different -- looks like a swappable head thing, where before it looked like Scott had a removable helmet (easy to do with Scott's classic slicked-back hairdo). My Spidey-sense tells me this is actually the last of the three Japanese molds that have been in development -- the one from Beagle.

Ah, yeah, it is. Look at this early stuff I found linked through ToyBox DX's forums. Way to go, team. That'll show all those naysayers! Rebrand a few toys here, claim a toy for your own there ... in-house development? Who needs in-house development?

Anyhoo, the three things I'd probably snag out of this lot are Maia's Alpha (really want to do a VF-1S Skull One and Shadow Fighter Skull One back-to-back thing) Yellow's Ride Armor (LANCER ACTION FIGURE OMG!!!), and that Battlepod (because, hey, how often do you get a new Battlepod toy?).

The Beta? Ehh, don't have the room right now. Maybe later.

And you?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I really like how the Beta heads match the Alpha heads.

    By Blogger Roger, at 24 July, 2008 21:16  

  • I'd probly get Maia's alpha and the battlepod too if I had room for them amongst my godzilla collection, not to mention combining them together would look silly, but still I'll have to wait till I get a bigger place in the future.

    By Blogger Yours Truly, at 24 July, 2008 21:50  

  • I can't wait to read about your thoughts on the Beta Fighter.

    By Blogger SailorCallie, at 24 July, 2008 22:22  

  • The battlepod is pretty cool. So are the Betas. Is that a Scott Bernard head on a pike, though? What's up with that?

    By Blogger Shawn, at 24 July, 2008 23:02  

  • Shawno: That head on the "pike" is swappable with the one that's on the so-called new Masterpiece Cyclone so he can run around w/out his helmet on.

    Callie: Someone buy me a shelf for it, and I'll be more than happy to pick up one of the Betas to tear into. If I was still down in Kansas, finding some storage space wouldn't be such a big problem. In the apartment, I'm having a hard enough time finding space for all the stuff I've got! (And, to complicate matters, I keep buying graphic novels, DVDs, and Transformers ... hehe ...)

    Roger: Yeah, the new matching heads are pretty spiffy. I like 'em.

    By Blogger Captain JLS, at 24 July, 2008 23:51  

  • FYI - The Betas look spectacular in the case. Really sharp. I talked to three Toynami reps and asked two big questions about the Beta and here are the answers they gave me:

    When? November-ish for the Blue Beta. Then the different colors releasing every couple months after that. Shadow Beta in the Spring.

    How much? MSRP right now is targeted at $150.

    By Blogger jjh, at 26 July, 2008 23:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home