ROBOBLOG III Archives

9.17.2008

Will someone explain this one to me? I'm confused.


Earlier this month, the original ROBOTECH television series arrived on Apple's iTunes store. I think that link takes you to The Macross Saga. Robotech Masters went up last week. The New Generation will be added in early October.

Now, upon seeing this, I was curious about two things:

1) Which of Harmony Gold's distribution partners is responsible for this? I can't see ADV managing this in their sorry shape. (And yes, they still have the rights to ROBOTECH -- all their other ROBOTECH discs are now out of print, but they continue to put out copies of The Big Blue Box.)

2) Is this digital release the Remastered edition? (I would assume so, but I'd love to get some verification on that.)

Making matters more interesting, at least to me, is the fact that fellow ROBOTECH fan Callie Ray sent me a link to an article about a website called Jaman.com, where you can download different TV shows and movies and such for very iTunes-like prices. They have inked a deal with Manga Entertainment, the folks who brought us Ghost in the Shell, Macross Plus, and the Street Fighter II TV animation, movie, and spin-off OVAs, to distribute their catalog of titles.

And apparently, at least in terms of digital distribution, the ROBOTECH television series is in that catalog. Which I guess not only answers my first question, but also explains the Manga Entertainment logo next to Dana's head on the iTunes art for Robotech Masters.

Sooooooo, um, why isn't there anything about ANY of this at Robotech.com? Shouldn't there be links to both iTunes and Jaman.com there? I mean, I may dislike digital distribution for me (if I'm spending money, I want something tangible, something I can hold in my hands -- I guess that makes me old-fashioned), but there's plenty of folks out there who seem to think this whole no-waiting, download-it-now thing is pretty keen, and some of them might appreciate, say, links straight from The Macross Saga to one of those sites where they could buy the entire Macross Saga direct, straight to their computer.

*sigh*

But of course, that would only make sense, wouldn't it?

Update: I forgot the best part. To add to the confusion that surrounds the line between ROBOTECH and Macross, Manga Ent. has lumped Macross II and the theatrical version of Macross Plus (which claims to have an English dub -- maybe it's just the OVA version edited into a feature?) in the ROBOTECH section of their catalog on Jaman.com. For bonus stupid points, the image that accompanies Macross II is one of ... Macross 7's Basara!

Um, good going, gang! Right on!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • I like to own the physical media, too. Guess I'm old-fashioned as well.

    By Blogger Shawn, at 18 September, 2008 02:34  

  • Robotech.com has always been bad when it comes to updates, even slow at times. *shrug* perhaps there will be something about this several months later?

    I'm also not in with downloading a series straight to my computer, in fact the only thing I ever download is music, minus that time I was a tad naughty and downloaded the torrent for the movie land of the dead, but shhhhh that was once and I deleted it after I watched it.

    By Blogger Yours Truly, at 18 September, 2008 10:26  

  • Hot damn!! I got mentioned. Thanks! :D

    By Blogger SailorCallie, at 18 September, 2008 20:42  

  • Could be a few reasons to all of this. Manga is the distributor of Robotech in the UK, and they may have negotiated international internet rights when they negotiated the DVD deal. Or maybe it was done afterwards, who knows?

    Since Manga also has the Macross Plus and Macross II rights, Jaman probably lumped them altother not knowing what the differences were. As far as the Macross 7 screenshot, someone at Jaman probably got that off of a Google image search or something.

    By Blogger Darkwater, at 22 September, 2008 12:51  

  • oh, and as far as it not being on Robotech.com, that's because... it's Robotech.com

    By Blogger Darkwater, at 22 September, 2008 12:52  

  • exactly! @ darkwater

    By Blogger Yours Truly, at 22 September, 2008 15:51  

  • Could be a few reasons to all of this. Manga is the distributor of Robotech in the UK, and they may have negotiated international internet rights when they negotiated the DVD deal. Or maybe it was done afterwards, who knows?

    Since Manga also has the Macross Plus and Macross II rights, Jaman probably lumped them altother not knowing what the differences were. As far as the Macross 7 screenshot, someone at Jaman probably got that off of a Google image search or something.


    I must commend you, Darkwater, for your noticing Nekki Basara of Macross 7 on Jaman's website.

    By Blogger SailorCallie, at 22 September, 2008 16:09  

  • that's interesting, but I've already ripped and converted my dvds, so I'm already good. ;-)

    By Blogger Treiz, at 24 September, 2008 01:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home