ROBOBLOG III Archives

7.18.2006

Tangent - Tim Eldred's Grease Monkey


The Fourth Rail has a review up of Invid War co-creator and Return to Macross artist Tim Eldred's all ages sci-fi saga Grease Monkey. This book has been floating somewhere towards the top of my "to buy" list for a bit now; Eldred's work on ROBOTECH, Captain Harlock, and Votoms back in the 1990's has elevated him towards the top of my personal list of creators whose work I'll seek out without reservation. However, I don't expect you to do the same, so here's the official website for the book, where you can read the first two chapters free of charge, as well as a number of interviews with Eldred and a pile of pulled quotes of praise for the book from accomplished comics professionals and other review publications.

Kind of interesting, at least to me -- the "buy more and save" pairing that Amazon.com suggests is this book with Matt Fraction & Steven Sanders's Five Fists of Science (Image Comics), in which Mark Twain and Nikola Tesla attempt to sell the world on a plan to end all war only to run headlong into a dangerous plot for power by J.P. Morgan and Thomas Edison. An excellent and entertaining read; I sort of understand how the two might wind up lumped together, but it still caused me to scratch my head for a second when I first saw them side by side.

Oh so very frustrating to have so many good comics out there to buy and not enough money to do so ... and by what I've read of it thus far, this would be one of them. *sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home