ROBOBLOG III Archives

1.17.2007

To review.

Feh, and I thought I was going to scoop Darkwater on this first one -- clearly he posted it up while I was still reading it. Hrrmph.

  • There's a mostly positive review of Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles here at Pegasus News out of Fort Worth, TX. Yes, the author, Todd Maternowski, gets "Haydonites" spelled wrong in a weird way, but then again the closed captioning of the old ROBOTECH tapes from FHE spelled Zentraedi "Zentrody." We can't all be perfect. I'm kind of surprised that the review is so positive, actually, but then Maternowski seems to at least have a passing familiarity with the franchise and its place in anime history. Given that he admits producing a synopsis of practically any anime film would make the uninitiated's head spin, I wonder what a total newcomer would think.


Also today:

  • Harmony Gold posted a second installment of the Birth of a Sequel documentary, this one about the production process. If you click here, Darkwater gives you screen grabs of some of the early production art.

  • And then there's a preview of a six-page article on The Shadow Chronicles that's going to be in Wizard Entertainment's February issue of their Anime Insider magazine, on sale this week.

3 Comments:

  • I watched the movie but jonathan I was bothered by the lack of macross characters, and one more thing jonathan I would like to know is the use of the year 2044, is that somehow related to the macross rights with Big West. 2040 or 2038 would have been better so I could get to see my favourite characters much younger. An old looking Rick is like insult to Robotech.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 18 January, 2007 16:29  

  • I read the review of the movie that both you and DarkWater wrote about. I must say, I was not impressed. I started out thinking, "Wow! What a great thing for Robotech. A good public review!" Then I noticed something that made me question the author's knowledge on the whole subject. There was one glaring typo that shows he did not have a clue. He refers to the new enemy as the Hatenoids rather then the Haydonites. Talk about whoops.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 18 January, 2007 21:35  

  • rhade:

    Actually, I just took a look again and he fixed the spelling of Haydonites.

    The guy comes off as a casual anime viewer who sort of knows his stuff, but hasn't done much in the way of research to reinforce what he knows. He might've watched the TV show as a kid, maybe rewatched it on DVD -- or maybe took notes as someone explained the relationship between Shadow Chronicles and the movie to him, I don't know. But he sure as heck got enough right in that review to qualify in my book as "having a clue." It certainly wasn't like the insulting obviously-wrong crap reviewers were writing about the original Transformers movie back in '86, that's for sure ...

    By Blogger Captain JLS, at 18 January, 2007 22:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home