ROBOBLOG III Archives

1.10.2007

Giving Southern Cross some Love | Someone Hated Shadow Chronicles

Yeah, I missed yesterday. I'm going to try and make up for that later tonight with some work on the comics blog. In the meantime, I'm going to take a break today from the Chinese-language Macross book and post a pretty Southern Cross picture from This Is Animation 10.


I really love the ethereal, wispy, dreamlike watercolor style of this piece. Can't you almost see Dana and Bowie chasing after them as the image fades or melts away?

* * *

Meanwhile, out there in the ether of the interwub, Robotech.com's store has finally gotten in the RDF expansions for Hero Factory's ROBOTECH CCG (Blue Squadron & the SDF-1), even if they don't have a preorder for the Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles soundtrack yet. (Darkwater found it for preorder at CD Universe; I found it listed at "coming soon," albeit not preorderable, here at MovieMusic.com.)

* * *

Look, someone thought Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles really, really sucked. Wow, that's the harshest I've seen anyone be to the movie beyond the comments threads at Darkwater's blog. Yeesh!

8 Comments:

  • Hey, I checked out the link to the crappy review, and there's someone responding to the sound system critique by saying the film was only in stereo.

    Is this true? And if so ... why?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 January, 2007 01:01  

  • It would be because the movie is digital, and they get copies of it on digibeta tapes rather than 35mm film. Although digibeta actually has 4 audio tracks available, I'm guessing that either their playing equipment or else the duping equipment from the studio can only do stereo on those tapes. Have to wait for DVD for 5.1.

    By Blogger Chris Meadows, at 11 January, 2007 01:21  

  • And that reply (from The ImagiAsian) said that most anime releases are on DigiBeta. Is ImagiAsian implying the theatrical showings of The Shadow Chronicles are 720x486? That's roughly the same as DVD. Pointing the finger at DigiBeta for the stereo audio issue doesn't make sense, since DigiBeta is capable of four channels.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betacam#Digital_Betacam

    I'll give many of the commenters on Darkwater's blog more credit for listing their criticisms of the Shadow Chronicles, as opposed to harshing on it without specifics like the linked blogger did.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 January, 2007 01:28  

  • Dunno if this went through already, please delete if it's a double post. I posted scans of a Southern Cross promotional pamphlet on 4chan, enjoy:

    http://zip.4chan.org/m/res/308962.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 January, 2007 10:04  

  • That review is not good. He maligns the movie but gives no supporting arguments.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 January, 2007 10:50  

  • That review sucks. I think he based his review just on the sound quality. I mean, it's not the same when sound sucks and the movie seems a lot worse than it actually is.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 January, 2007 11:50  

  • When I saw the movie at Harmony Gold, that was in True HD, and when I saw it at the LA Korean Film Festival, even though it was like 9 months later, I noticed a huge dip in quality.

    One thing that did stick out was the texturing on the CG parts of the bridges on the ships.

    I'm a total videophile, clear sharp pictures get my rocks off so I notice this type of stuff.

    I don't really know how digital films are delivered to theaters these days, but I do know when I saw Cars digitally projected last summer its clearer than day, so I'm betting that was no digibeta.

    By Blogger Darkwater, at 11 January, 2007 13:48  

  • The Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention emailed the following update to its mailing list Friday:

    MORE GIVE-AWAYS ADDED TO THE SUNDAY, JANUARY 14, 2007 LOS ANGELES COMIC BOOK AND SCIENCE FICTION CONVENTION!

    HARMONY GOLD will be bringing full size 27x40 ROBOTECH: THE SHADOW CHRONICLES MOVIE POSTERS to give away FREE to EVERYBODY ATTENDING while supplies last (but they are bringing a good supply) to this Sunday's COMIC BOOK AND SCIENCE FICTION CONVENTION!


    The rest of the message talks about the other freebies and the main attractions of this coming show.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12 January, 2007 20:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home