ROBOBLOG III Archives

3.20.2008

Lookin' Good, Lookin' Not So Good


-- Caught the above pic from the February 29th Palladium Press Release concerning the RPG via Kevin McKeever's blog. Maia and Rick are lookin' good, Marcus less so -- is it that his eyes are too close together? Is it that he seems a wee bit too broad-shouldered and manly? I dunno. Something about that art just seems off to me. But that's OK, because I'm not all that fond of Marcus anyway.

-- Moving on to more recent Palladium news, The Shadow Chronicles RPG book either has shipped or will be shipping today. Can't wait to lay my hands on a copy! (This person seems to think, despite being charged for the book already, that it's going to miss the shipping date. Mind you, the remark seems a shade tongue-in-cheek, but you never know -- it is the internet.)

-- A.J. Wells, enjoy your second link from this blog: fan buys vintage Matchbox ROBOTECH figure of favorite character, finds it lacking. Actually, Exedore's is one of the better character likenesses in that lineup. Breetai looks like a pin-headed vampire, Khyron looks like one of the Beatles, and poor Miriya looks like a dude. Let's not even talk about the 3 3/4" range and their poor, misshapen sculpts ...

Bonus trivia: Exedore's orange Zentraedi Cizion on the action figure is probably the result him having an orange Cizion in the style guide Harmony Gold provided to licensees. Check it out.


Chances are good that if you find something bizarrely off or wrongheaded on a piece of vintage ROBOTECH merchandise, it probably has its origins in the 1980's Style Guide. It is quite the font of misinformation that could have been straightened out by reviewing the show itself. (I'm half-shocked he didn't wind up with the teal trim instead of the proper green on his uniform, now that I look at the figure again.)

This is the kind of stupid trivia I thrive on. That's why it goes before the recent toy news you might actually give a crap about.

-- Moving forward in time to much, much more recent toys, Josh tells us that the Megazone 23 Part 2 Proto Garland is awesome, and (deep breath) Cyclones, Cyclones, and more Cyclones -- the MegaHouse one looks awesome but apparently has a more "intentional disassembly"-style transformation, Yaco provides some excellent comparison pics of various Cyclones, and Beagle is apparently still going to make their 1/10 scale version. Which means if we still get the Toynami version that's been shown off for years, that'll be four different Cyclone toys in the span of about a year. Crazy.

-- Also, I see that someone (it says "Roger" -- could it be our old pal Roger Harkavy?) told Yaco that the Toynami Betas are going to be $150 each, not the $80 that BBTS listed them as initially. I see that they have corrected themselves accordingly.

-- And on a personal note, I just won this item off the eBay ...



I don't care how much of a two-dimensional raging maniacal tool he is, I still kind of like T.R. Edwards. He amuses me.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • "Cizion", eh? Well, I learned something new today. :)

    With the Exedore figure, I thought, at least the other figures got their basic colour scheme more intact; I wasn't expecting anything better in the scuplting department than what I got, lack of "poncho" excepted.

    Good lord, that's an ugly colour guide....

    Edwards is one of those things: he is so absoulutely cheesy, but speaking for myself, I can't help but loathe him as I was meant to because of his role in the story.

    By Blogger Pterobat, at 20 March, 2008 12:18  

  • Whatever happen to the Roboblog comics contest? I was eager to see who won the contest, Hmmm!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 21 March, 2008 14:16  

  • meh, Edwards wasn't so bad in the centenels animation, at least, they didn't have time to really screw him up that much. Great buy, I got my hands on some Centinels Bioroids at a con last year. I likes me some Bioroids!

    Can't wait for my RPG copy to come in.

    By Blogger Treiz, at 21 March, 2008 22:11  

  • Edwards woke up on the wrong side of the bed... again.

    By Blogger ChrisK, at 22 March, 2008 09:25  

  • yay! just got my RPG book in the mail. Already found one typo, but otherwise it looks like they went back and took a really serious look at the show as far as what is and isn't canon now. CAn't wait to check out the rest.

    By Blogger Treiz, at 24 March, 2008 21:35  

  • Congratulations on getting mentioned in yet another publication!..and ta boot, it looks like they spelled you name right this time! :)

    One question is the "REF" title no longer canon? It appears to have been replaced with "UEEF" (United Earth Expeditionary Force).

    again congrats...

    -adc-

    By Blogger aaron@digitalcole, at 25 March, 2008 00:56  

  • Yup, my comments were tongue in cheek. My copy has arrived, and I'm in the process of reading it (expect a review any day now). I'm a Palladium/Robotech fan, but I also know what to expect from them. Now to get my Rifter subscription.

    By Blogger John, at 25 March, 2008 23:06  

  • It's funny you mention Khyron, because I actually had that action figure. The comparison to the Beatles is strangely fitting though. But I didn’t like his stiff coat tails because his legs wouldn’t bend.

    I’d also like to second the request for more info on the comic contest. I’d love to see the results, especially if MedMapGuy entered.

    By Blogger Niff, at 28 March, 2008 21:53  

  • I actually did. If Captain JLS would let me show it somewhere, that'd be cool. I also heard the guys behind the Live Action Novel had something up their sleeve in the contest...

    By Blogger ChrisK, at 29 March, 2008 19:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home