ROBOBLOG III Archives

11.24.2008

Eighty pages of Mikimoto Macross manga is nothing to sneeze at.


Anime News Network reported last Friday that original Macross character designer Haruhiko Mikimoto will be writing and drawing a new Macross manga series for the new, now announced as quarterly, Macross magazine Macross Ace. Tentatively titled Macross The First (shades of Gundam character designer Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's Gundam The Origin), it will be focused on Lynn Minmay and, I presume, will cover Space War I through her eyes. Eighty pages of the series will be published in the first issue of Macross Ace, which will appear on Japanese newsstands January 26, 2009.

Hey, DC Comics -- how about you and Harmony Gold go talk to Kadokawa and help us get this stuff over here? I'm sure it'll sell a CRAP-TON better than those musty old Comico collections!

Other minor bits of flotsam I've picked up across the internets:

  • Artist Eamon Dougherty reflects on Duc Tran's Antarctic Press ROBOTECH series Vermilion, one of that publisher's stronger efforts, as I've no doubt remarked upon dozens of times over the past ten years.

  • Anime blogger 21st Century Digital Boy places the original Macross animation at the top of his "Essential (non-GAINAX, non-Miyazaki, non-Satoshi Kon) Anime" list. (For the record, I've watched at least one episode of ALL but two of those shows; I've seen six of them in their entirety. And I'm pretty sure I'll get around to watching all of Honey and Clover one of these days, and would very much like to bask in the glory of Rose of Versailles in its entirety.)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • I'm looking forward to the Macross manga, even if it isn't English translated.

    By Blogger SailorCallie, at 25 November, 2008 10:53  

  • meh, took a look at Digital Boy's list, I guess I can give him credit for getting Macross right but beyond that his list is a bit... unsettling, unfocused, oh I know... FULL OF CRAP!!!

    By Blogger Treiz, at 04 December, 2008 19:58  

  • Wow, "Duc Tran" (it's a pen name, he's not actually Vietnamese or anything)? I was mildly acquainted with that guy about 12 years ago. I knew he had drawn some Robotech comics, but I didn't know they were so well received. At the time he was working at a local comicbook shop. Cut me a great deal on my first big manga purchase: all of Sanctuary plus all of Battle Angel Alita that had been released up to that point.

    It wasn't until then that I realized the "flan of victory!" comic page he had posted on his door wasn't something he drew but a page excerpt. No idea what happened to the guy, as he shuttled back and forth between Florida and California.

    By Blogger Daryl Surat, at 16 December, 2008 13:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home