ROBOBLOG III Archives

6.05.2006

OK, I got 'em ...

Received my ROBOTECH CCG beta decks from Hero Factory today, along with four instruction sheet/play mats. Thumbed through 'em, and couldn't help but notice how dark the printing is on some of the cards, especially ol' Rick Hunter, the first card you see. Also, they really dropped the ball on some of those screen grabs -- I know there are better shots of some of those Battlepods, for instance, especially the Officer's Pod (there's that very airbrushed long shot if it standing in front of the Battlepods in "Battlehymn," much like the shot they used, only not CRAP) and the Light Artillery Pod (when the Battlepod pops up to fire on Rick in "Countdown"). Yes, yes, I know it's a beta deck and the finished product is going to be better -- I expect the cards to be more playing card stock than trading card stock, along with the rounded edges that come with that -- but there are things about the presentation here that make it feel kind of rushed, which is slightly unnerving when you bear in mind that we were originally promised beta decks nearly a year ago in time for AX 2005/Robocon 20.

Can't say much on the play mechanics front yet -- just got 'em in and skimmed the instruction sheet. I'll be having company later, maybe I can pester Levi to give it a shot.

And once I figure out the play mechanics, I am totally Photoshopping some Malcontent Uprisings and Sentinels cards together. Seriously.

5 Comments:

  • No, you have to shop some Conqueror cards....

    OLD SCHOOL CONQUEROR!

    Think of the awesome insanity of it!

    (I haven't ordered the decks yet... so I can't speak about the game.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05 June, 2006 15:52  

  • I got mine on Friday. With a bunch of anticipation, I went through the cards and rules and realized something: I've never played a CCG. EVER. I've never even watched a match between other players. The rules should have been written for a 6 year old in order for me to understand what was going on.

    I guess I'm glad there's new Robotech product out there. Also, I'm an amatuer magician, so I could probably cheat pretty well at these games.

    By Blogger Darkwater, at 05 June, 2006 17:09  

  • oh, and I was going to add - I'm thinking one of the reasons for the delay was because they were probably hoping to tie-in to the release of The Shadow Chronicles.

    By Blogger Darkwater, at 05 June, 2006 17:10  

  • Shop New Gen cards! Or I'll draw new version of Old style Conqueror mecha and we'll all suffer!

    Opinion of CCG = Foul Spawn of Satan is unchanged, especially consider screen-cap instead of all new art :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 06 June, 2006 07:38  

  • Okay, Cyc, I'll do some New Gen cards too, just for you.

    And yeah, totally with you on the screen grab thing. Original art would seriously class this endeavor up.

    By Blogger Captain JLS, at 06 June, 2006 15:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home