ROBOBLOG III Archives

4.26.2007

So I suppose it's doing well.


No real reason for this screen shot -- just thought it looked cool.


Comics/pop culture retailer news site ICv2 has produced their list of the top ten anime properties for the 1st quarter of 2007. Guess what's on there.

1. Dragon Ball Z
2. Pokemon
3. Voltron
4. Naruto
5. Robotech Shadow Chronicles
6. Fullmetal Alchemist
7. Hellsing Ultimate
8. Howl's Moving Castle
9. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
10. Bleach

Yes, that's The Shadow Chronicles hanging snugly between Cartoon Network anime phenomenons Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist, but below Voltron, which had a very well-publicized DVD release through Media Blasters. Y'know, not to be a Monday morning quarterback, but looking at it on this list, I wonder how well Shadow Chronicles would be doing if it had some stronger marketing up front.

The rest of the ICv2 article is about how anime DVD releases have dropped since this time last year and how in contrast manga sales are hanging in pretty well. Kind of interesting reading for the armchair anime & manga pundit crowd. See it here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Hmmmm, I have to wonder if Shadow Chronicles would have done better if it had come out closer to when it was originally promised. I heard from others sources that DVD sales for the first quarter of 2007 are the lowest they have been in years. And if this article says that anime titles aren't selling as well on DVD, then being the 5th best selling title of genre that isn't selling as good as it used to on a format that has sold less units that have been sold in years, it might not be saying much. That being said, I'm glad it's doing as well as it is. My nightmare was that, after HG finally finishes a Robotech sequel, no one would care aside from me.

    ----Admiral DMC McKeever

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 26 April, 2007 23:08  

  • manga sales are doing well because most americans
    are begining to become aware that manga is better than anime, you should also check the berserk manga.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 27 April, 2007 11:24  

  • Wait. TSC sold better than "Advent Children?" Really? I'm shocked. I mean... wow. I never would've expected THAT.

    I disagree with anonymous entirely. It's not that Americans are beginning to think that manga is "better" than anime; rather, it's that anime as a whole has died down in its popular appeal. The preconceived notions about 40 year old men watching cartoons in their parent's basement are, I think, starting to resurface again among the "geek elite." Besides, by and large, Americans don't like to read -- be it novel or comic -- when we can instead plop ourselves down in front of the TV and veg out.

    By Blogger JHC, at 27 April, 2007 13:04  

  • I don't think this in comparison by sheer sales, as much as the entire property (Toys, soundtracks, and so forth...) and I would assume that Robotech itself would be weighed in as well (Even though, I believe most merchandising is gonna focus towards Invid Invasion/Shadow Chronicles for now...)

    It's good to see though. Good indeed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 28 April, 2007 00:46  

  • JLS
    I’ve never really noticed, until I looked at the picture you posted here, how much Marcus reminds me of Rand. I could easily see this as Scott and Rand going at it over some difference of opinion. By the way, thanks again for all the great insight and opinions, keep up the great work!
    --Rosic

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 02 May, 2007 17:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home